Reenacting Wagoneers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hand tools and wrenches for wagon tool box

2 posters

Go down

Hand tools and wrenches for wagon tool box Empty Hand tools and wrenches for wagon tool box

Post  Jim Bishop Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:50 pm

I am preparing a wagon for reenacting events and was wondering what tools would have been in a wagon tool box. Hammer, wrenches other than wheel wrench ect. I don't have a tool box on my wagon but if I can find the specs i am thinking of building one. I would think things like a draw knife and maybe an auger???? Would appreciate some imput.
Jim Bishop
Jim Bishop

Back to top Go down

Hand tools and wrenches for wagon tool box Empty Re: Hand tools and wrenches for wagon tool box

Post  Gery Barker Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:24 pm

Jim,
According to the book The Wagonmasters the standard tools on the overland route were an ax, a spade, a jack and a logging chain. There was a grease bucket hanging on the rear of the wagon. That is all that is mentioned. Wheel wrenches were invented, but the majority of the freight wagons had lynch pins and did not need a wrench. Having been in rough country with a bunch of wagon trains and campaigns, my box has a wrench, a wheel wrench, a hatchet, pliers/tongs, a screw driver and spare pins and clevises. I can make a spoke with my belt knife and an ax. I did chop a front hound out with an ax a couple of years ago on a wagon train. I also carry a bucket to get water to my animals when water is inaccessible to them and I like to have a pick or mattock along somewhere on the train.
There is a tool box on the front of a Carolina farm wagon from our era in the Museum of Appalachia at Norris Tennessee. It is sloped, 6" in front, 9" at the head boards and wide enough to fill the space between the sideboards. It has a hasp and the hinges do not show. If you need I'll draw you a picture, but I don't know how to get it on this site.
I hope this helps.
Gerry
Gery Barker
Gery Barker

Back to top Go down

Hand tools and wrenches for wagon tool box Empty Re: Hand tools and wrenches for wagon tool box

Post  Jim Bishop Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:36 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I can build one from the discription that you gave me. I hope to gain enough experince and knowledge from folks like you and A Wagon Master that I can outfit my wagon and join you all in a campain event someday.
Jim Bishop
Jim Bishop

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down