Reenacting Wagoneers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Civil War Reminiscence of Major Silas T. Grisamore

2 posters

Go down

The Civil War Reminiscence of Major Silas T. Grisamore Empty The Civil War Reminiscence of Major Silas T. Grisamore

Post  Gery Barker Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Gleanings from The Civil War Reminiscences of Major Silas T. Grisamore
1. Numerous mentions of open wagons. No mention of a covered wagon.
2. Requisitioning farm wagons mentioned pp. 64-68. They were taking wagons and teams from people who had more than one. Apparently all from farms and plantations. It is unlikely that any had more than two animals, maybe some singles. These were all farm wagons probably no uniformity. It sounds like he found six wagons for the brigade.
3. Drivers drawn from the Regiment, would have been white farmers with some driving experience. (p. 64)
4. Twice so far mention of limit of one wagon per regiment during a move with remainder of wagons sent to the rear.
5. While Acting Brigade QM was put in charge of a train of 20 wagons to go back and pick up stragglers. (p. 58) I am not sure if this is the Brigade’s trains or a detail from Division or Corps.
6. So short of wagons in March of 1864 that the brigade’s wagons were making two trips per move (pp. 141-2)
7. Throughout the book the preference is to mules as draft for the brigade’s wagons, but horses are mentioned. Oxen appear a few times but were always mentioned as civilian teams used by the military for a specific task.
8. In almost every view we get of the brigade’s wagons, some soldiers were detailed to accompany the wagons as guards/etc.
9. The common hobby of the infantrymen was stealing from the wagons, especially food.
10. Teamsters going home, would have been white freemen, not slaves. (p. 147)
11. The difference between supply wagons and baggage wagons was that: Baggage wagons accompany the regiments and brigade on the march and may have been only one or two per regiment with a few more at the brigade level; Supply wagons made repeated trips from the depot to the units. Both would have belonged to the brigade. Forage wagons accompanied the brigade but made excursions to find hay and corn for the brigade’s animals.

--
Siempre imagine que el Paraiso seria algun tipo de bibliotheca.
I have always imagined that Heaven would be some kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
Gery Barker
Gery Barker

Back to top Go down

The Civil War Reminiscence of Major Silas T. Grisamore Empty Re: The Civil War Reminiscence of Major Silas T. Grisamore

Post  12th Texas Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:09 pm

My great great grandfather, Thomas R. Parrish, was a wagoner for the 12th Texas Volunteer Infantry. He is classified a private throughout the length of his service, which I assume means that he was a member of the regiment. So would it be true that he was a "mustered in", "official" member of the regiment, but that his job was wagoner? His name appears on the roll of the regiment, Company G. Later in his war records, it is said that he was a wagoner in the "M" Department. Any idea what that department would have been? Could it be the Medical Department?
12th Texas
12th Texas

http://www.myspace.com/chuckparrish

Back to top Go down

The Civil War Reminiscence of Major Silas T. Grisamore Empty Thomas R. Parrish

Post  Gery Barker Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:23 pm

From what I have read, both armies detailed soldiers to wagon drivers. So, this is logical. I was not the only answer though. I have hit Department M before. From the context I thought it meant Mississippi Department (which we would call "Trans-Mississippi"). Does this fit with what you know of the 12th Texas? - Gery Barker

12th Texas wrote:My great great grandfather, Thomas R. Parrish, was a wagoner for the 12th Texas Volunteer Infantry. He is classified a private throughout the length of his service, which I assume means that he was a member of the regiment. So would it be true that he was a "mustered in", "official" member of the regiment, but that his job was wagoner? His name appears on the roll of the regiment, Company G. Later in his war records, it is said that he was a wagoner in the "M" Department. Any idea what that department would have been? Could it be the Medical Department?
Gery Barker
Gery Barker

Back to top Go down

The Civil War Reminiscence of Major Silas T. Grisamore Empty Re: The Civil War Reminiscence of Major Silas T. Grisamore

Post  12th Texas Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:50 pm

YES, THE 12TH TEXAS FOUGHT IN ARKANSAS, AND IN THE RED RIVER CAMPAIGN IN LOUISIANA. THEY WERE IN THE TRANS-MISSISSIPPI DEPARTMENT. SO DO YOU THINK THAT "M" STANDS FOR THE MISSISSIPPI OR TRANS-MISSISSIPPI DEPARTMENT?
12th Texas
12th Texas

http://www.myspace.com/chuckparrish

Back to top Go down

The Civil War Reminiscence of Major Silas T. Grisamore Empty Department M

Post  Gery Barker Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:56 pm

That's the context I' have encountered it in before. What you just added of reinforces that. This is about the third time I have heard or read about Department "M" and all have been Trans Mississippi. - Gery

12th Texas wrote:YES, THE 12TH TEXAS FOUGHT IN ARKANSAS, AND IN THE RED RIVER CAMPAIGN IN LOUISIANA. THEY WERE IN THE TRANS-MISSISSIPPI DEPARTMENT. SO DO YOU THINK THAT "M" STANDS FOR THE MISSISSIPPI OR TRANS-MISSISSIPPI DEPARTMENT?
Gery Barker
Gery Barker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum